Touching people all around you
There are a thousand ideas of how you can touch and change things all around you wherever you are. "Changing the world, from the inside out" by Michael Meegan is available on amazon.co.uk or through eye-books.com.
You do not need to go to Africa to help people and you do not need to go very far in your own life to inspire or help someone. If you do want to help our work in Africa, there are a lot of things you can do.
ICROSS receives enquiries from volunteers/internships/positions from over 4,000 applicants annually. We reply to every enquiry. However, we only accepted 39 international volunteers in 2007, all of whom had professional skills.
- Medical/health professionals
- Management and business professionals
- Sabbatical professionals
- Legal and technical consultants
- University elected students
- Additionally, we have volunteers sent by the Canadian International Development Agency and the Japanese International Cooperation Agency
ICROSS is made up of 700 volunteers, the majority being trained up as community health workers or home based care workers, working in the communities we serve. Our international offices are likewise made up of volunteers and friends of ICROSS and they need your help. It does not matter if you are a student, a teacher, a mother or builder, you can organise a small group of friends and make a huge difference in the lives of hundreds - you can do that today. You can email us here in Africa or any of our offices in UK, Ireland and Canada, and we can share with you ideas that might suit your own interests.
Before you contact us, we would like you to consider the following questions:
- Why do you really want to come?
- Are you willing to learn from other cultures?
- Can you commit for a year? Internships are a minimum of one year, any less would be a brief visit to say hello
- How will you cope with disease and suffering around you?
- If you are still interested in getting involved and make a difference, please contact us directly
- Check out www.idealist.org for ICROSS postings